Gollum’s opinion aside, the “EDC Dump” of the contents of someone’s pocket seems to be a fairly ubiquitous feature on most gear blogs. So… here’s mine–
- Old Tumi Card Case as wallet, with a Hopi money clip that I bought 20 years ago on Third Mesa.
- Aluminum vial for Nitroglycerin Rx that I haven’t needed to use in 10 years. [Amusingly, you can get these as “LDS Silver Matte Aluminum Oil Vial for Concerated Olive Oil & Priesthood Holders of All Ages, Elders & Priests, Annointing, Blessing & Healing the Sick” and pay $3.99 each plus $3.99 shipping… OR you can buy them as “SE-Small Pill ID Holder” in a pack of five for $4.32/shipped… Grab a five pack, you’ll find plenty of things to use them for]
- Solid silver Navajo bracelet- “old pawn” that my wife bought me as a gift in one of the pawn shops in Gallup, New Mexico back in 2002.
- Burt’s Bees Lip Balm- easily the best of all of the chapstick-like products. The tube always lasts a lot longer than the label does.
- Gerber Ripstop knife– $10 bucks on Amazon get you a pretty good clip-on beater. This is new to my carry in the last couple of weeks. I wanted to try something with partial serration to replace the similarly sized, Ed Halligan designed, CRKT H.U.G.
- Leatherman Squirt P-4 – I am pretty sure that this one has been “replaced” with the PS-4, which features a pair of scissors, but at the expense of giving up an awl, and the dedicated phillips screwdriver tip. After what must be nearly 20 years of carrying the P-4, I am just too used to the tool selection to want to change. It probably gets used 6 to 10 times a day.
- Old, generic Czechoslovakian pipe tool. If you smoke a pipe, you need a pipe tool. [Needless to say, my every-day carry also features a pipe… I won’t bore you with which of the 50 it might be]
- MX Power ML-108, 150 lumin, AAA LED Flashlight- I gave this a passing review a few months ago. It is a cheap Chinese beater [$10 shipped], but it can’t be beat for dependability, and the quantity of light that it throws.
- Omega SeaMaster watch with the “ocean-blue” dial. The last gift my mother gave me.
All of these are always in my front two pockets and on my wrists. Depending on the day, what I’m wearing, where I’m going, and what I’m doing, a few other things may come along for the ride… that almost always means carrying a lighter.
It is most commonly one of the DJEEP disposables. A friend turned me on to them a few years ago, and I like the form factor, since it’s so resembles the Zippos that I had used for years and years. At various times it will get subbed out for an actual Zippo… This brass one is one of the several I have. And last year my tobacco company tossed in a couple of freebie, butane pipe lighters, complete with pipe tools, in an order I placed. They hang out in the pockets of my hoodies, and the coat that I wear out onto the porch to smoke in.
In the “Sometimes” category are the Fisher Space Pen, a little leather bag with a skull [that I carved from Taugua nut], and an antique, 19th-century Chinese jade, “fingering” piece for the fidgets.